Friday, June 25, 2010

Changes, Changes, and no Change...

I've been to Tbilisi, Georgia's Capital City 4 weeks in a row. Now some might call that lucky, I call that tiresome. Especially since 2 of those days were one day trips, and that trip is a bumpy 2 and half hour ride on a sweltering hot van they call a marshutka. I also visited my ex-host site. I say ex, because I was recently informed that there will be a ban on Americans to my particular site because of its proximity to Chechnya (like a few kilometers away). So now I have a new site. This site is not really a new site, since it is Borjomi (I wasn't stating actually places before because I thought we weren't supposed to, but it seems everyones doing it... so why not). Borjomi! A very awesome site, and I'm pretty excited and happy to stay here, since I've enjoyed it here. On the other hand, I was also excited to go ride the horses up on the steppes of Tusheti. Oh well, I think there are horses here as well. I'll still be doing the same thing, just for the Borjomi National Park, which is actually a more popular park, but a different kind of park. Tusheti was more for the adventurous and brave, Borjomi is a lovely park, but a different kind of park. So, still a park ranger, just in another park.

Me and my cluster successfully hosted an American Supra at my place a few weeks ago. I made some crepes for the supra, and since then, my host family has always asked for more. So I've been making lots of batches of crepes, and I'm becoming quite the expert at crepe-making. I'll like to thank my friend Teddy for the recipe (sans vanilla extract, which I can't find). Tomorrow me and my cluster are going to have another American Supra, where I'll attempt making fried rice. Yep, crepes and fried rice are American food I guess...

2 weeks left till the end of PST. Then swearing in and off to... well... down the street? Not really, but its really close. Now, I just gotta meet my new host family. Looking forward to that.

The TV I watched USA draw with England on. These are the TV's we have in Georgia. Even on these small TV's Italy still flops and look like wusses.

This guy was outrageous. We did shots of wine from that same thing on his finger. Death Supra... gotta love it.

Drinking from the horn... not just once.

Picture from my many Tbilisi trips.


Picture I stole from Sean's blog. My first crepes, they have turned out better since, but these were also delicious.

1 comment:

  1. HA! Crepes and fried rice passing for American these days? :) What's next, Coq au Vin (the wine chicken dish I cooked)? Btw, the original ingredient for crepes was meant to be cognac, not vanilla extract, so you may be able to find some (just a couple of tablespoons). Can't go wrong with frying with more butter as well :) I have a really easy recipe for ribs - that may be more American, if you want to try.

    Btw, "marshrutka" cracked me up, because that's exactly what's it's called in Bulgarian as well... I think it's Russian, actually.

    Keep posting, hope all is well!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete