Monday, July 26, 2010

More Random Observations...

So this is a random observation I could've made the first week I was here. It could've been made definitely after the first month. And it still holds true today. I just wanted to see how time passing changes this observation. I can safely say that some, if not at least half of all Georgians are racist. No one is really forwardly racist anymore to me. But there are every day comments of racism I hear around me as I pass groups of people. I could be talking in Georgian to another Georgian and I can still hear racist remarks. I could even be talking in English to other Americans and I could still hear subtle racist remarks. Now unfortunately I haven't learned Georgian enough to discerned what exactly they are saying, but by tone and a few sparse words, I gotta say, it 'aint nice. Its sometimes conflicting for me to work and toil trying to do my part to improve and help a country that doesn't like me or my kind very much.

I used to complain about the racism in the country a lot. But now I just ignore it mainly. But it still gets to me sometimes. I mean, I live in the community now so I would have hoped I would have fit in more with the community and I wouldn't be targeted as much. But I guess being chinese-looking isn't a good thing here in Georgia. But I guess it could be worst. I heard Asians are treated terribly in the Middle East.

I also gotta note that Peace Corps is probably the least diverse American governmental organization I have seen. Probably one of the least diverse big organizations in America. Although I understand why. Imagine who would come to a program where you need a college degree and are willing to go 2 years without pay for adventure and altruism. Although I've experienced being the only asian before. I was once the only asian kid in a school of 500 near the Mexican border, and I think I had a good time.

So there are also new volunteers in my office. Theres a EU program where they send volunteers to random places for 3 months at a time. These two girls are from Latvia and Germany. Hopefully this should be exciting.



My adorable host sister making faces (many many poses) with my glasses.



This small black kitten follows me around when I get back to my house. It literally fits in the palm of my hands.

4 comments:

  1. CUTE on the kitten and host sister. Hopefully your host family is not so racist towards you. I feel so bad for you about the whole racist thing. That would totally get to me, and distract me a bit from my work. Hopefully, everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you're having fun. please write more about the dysfunctional dog and cat. i enjoy those stories.

    thank you.

    -your brother from another mother

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haters gonna hate. Stay strong buddy.

    ReplyDelete